Guidance officers at James Nash SHS work closely with students and their families, teachers, non-teaching professionals and in some instances departmental agencies and authorities. They do this in order to provide a wide range of support to students.
A guidance officer's responsibilities include:
- Professional counselling to assist with personal development, educational decisions, help with significant life events.
- Career guidance.
- Referral to community support/health agencies.
- Specialist educational testing and assessment.
- Conflict resolution and crisis management.
- Transition support eg 7 to 8, middle to senior, post school.